So I live with these SUPER hardcore libertarians, and for the past couple of days they’ve been making snide remarks about the government shutdown (i.e., ‘non-essential government employee? isn’t that redundant?’) but they just realized that their big weekend camping trip has to be canceled because the park is closed and I am over here just CACKLING.
I’m 22. I have a full-time job with enough of a salary to afford rent. It takes 2 hours for me to get to work from home, meaning I spend 4 hours in various forms of transit, which results in 12 hours a day I’m either at work or coming to/from there.
Oh, my God, Sarah Palin, “Let Allah sort it out” is NOT, and NEVER will be an appropriate response to the slaughter of a people by its government.
Let’s have a debate on if and how we should intervene and what good could be accomplished vs the potential harms created, but for fuck’s sake, have a semblance of decency and realize that they are human beings and shouldn’t be reduced to the religion you’re assuming they belong to.
I just went on a 30 minute rant about the Tea Party and the Republican Party’s destruction of itself and it was the best expression of rage and general emotion that I’ve had in a long time so thanks, far right fringe, it looks like you’ve finally found a way to start paying me back for all your bullshit.
I remember making a very conscious choice to use the Oxford comma in first grade when we were told it was optional. That is probably the most illuminating sentence about myself that I have ever written.
Oh my God my mom is watching some talk show and they’re having some guys from Thunder From Down Under (sort of like Australian Chippendales) or whatever on it and they’re dancing to Save A Horse Ride A Cowboy and she hasn’t turned it off yet and I am dying from the proxy awkward
The best thing about my internship is that I’m not really allowed to talk about it, but it’s not related to national security or anything it’s all about low to mid-level aspiring politicians in the Midwest
1. There will be several days that you daydream about stepping in front of a city bus. Don’t. It will not be beautiful. It will not be brave. It will be selfish. It will be broken. Your mother will cry.
2. Don’t write for him. Write for you. Write for others like you. Write so the girl that thinks about stepping in front of public transportation doesn’t. Don’t be selfish.
3. When you will yourself to sleep and it doesn’t come- get up. It doesn’t matter that it’s 3 am. There will be other 3 am’s. Take a shower. Take two. Wash him out of your hair. Write a poem. Read the same book you’ve read 202 times again. The 203rd time might tell you something different. Don’t stay in bed- you will think about the bus again.
4. Don’t kiss him because he’s broken. Don’t kiss him because his laughter never reaches his eyes. Don’t try and fix him. Fix yourself first. Be selfish. He can’t save you.
5. Date yourself. Take yourself out to eat. Don’t share your popcorn at the movies with anyone. Stroll around an art museum alone. Fall in love with canvases. Fall in love with yourself.
6. Dress up and wear red lipstick and get drunk with your friends. They’re the ones that will pick you up. Don’t kiss him. Or him. Don’t fall asleep on strange couches with strange boys. When his hand slides up your dress walk away. Hit him. Don’t kiss him. He can’t save you.
7. Get another tattoo. Get five more. Get another hole in your ear. Don’t listen to your dad. You will still be able to get a job. Did you really want to be employed by someone like your father? Haven’t you had enough of judgmental old white men anyway? Get fuck you tattooed in tiny letters on your hip.
8. When you feel the yearning for a new city- start over. Take 200 bucks and a three suitcases. Work anywhere that will have you. Meet strange people and forget your name. Call yourself Ruby. No one will know the difference. Remember to call your mother. Don’t be selfish. Come home when you find yourself in the strangers and the small one bedroom apartment.
9. Don’t whisper evil things into your own ear. Other people are going to shout them at you. Be your own hero. Keep a sword on your key ring.
10. Don’t step in front of a city bus. It will not be beautiful. Live. Stay up all night with a boy that promises you everything and means it. Live. See shitty local bands with a friend. Wear a different band’s t-shirt. No one will care. Live. Have a baby girl with tiny fingers and tiny toes someday. Pour love into her until it’s overflowing. Live. Wake up. Staying in bed all day is not poetic.
Do you hear that? It’s me. It’s your life. Wake up.